Wow! I can't believe I'm already writing a blog post to summarise my year... it has gone by so fast!! I'll start by saying that 2013 certainly hasn't been one that'll be easy to forget. It has had incredible highs and almighty lows, but I'm so thankful for how much it has allowed me to grow. 2013 could be dubbed the year of change, and I feel like this year I have been made to grow up more than ever. As a result I know myself a whole lot better than before.
It began on a high- I was becoming more comfortable with myself and not sweating the small stuff. I was enjoying school and although the year began with January exams, a little piece of me didn't die every time I walked through the school gates like it did in 2012. I was spending time surrounded by people I loved.
Then, unfortunately, my run of good luck and bliss was interrupted by some heartbreaking news about my Granddad who sadly passed away in March. The roller-coaster his health sent me and my family on, although shattered us, made us all stronger and gave me a healthier outlook on life.
Although it sounds cheesey, after his death I made more of an effort to live the life he'd like to see me live. I continued to surround myself with good people and do the things I wanted to do. I put more effort into my school work (instead of school life) in a last ditch attempt to secure some good grades for the Summer, began driving and concentrated on the things and people I loved. But just as I begun to get comfortable it was time for change again- it was time to say bye bye to education. After a fun final dress up week, then came the last day we would all be together again.
The next month or so was a bit of a boring blur with the last stretch of studying for final summer A2 exams, but before I knew it exams were done and it was time to relax and cherish the final moments I had before having to be a 'grown up'. My most incredible Summer kicked off with a farewell prom and included some incredible trips away to places such as Glastonbury Festival, Javea in Spain, Rototom Festival and Barcelona. This summer I was really really happy. I was so content and confident with the people I'd chosen to surround and invest my time in and felt like everything had finally fallen into place.
And then that word again... Change.
It was time for me to say goodbye to the friends that I've grown up with as they all packed up and ventured off to uni. After waving off my last and best friend, I felt pretty deflated. Underwhelmed by what the next year had in store for me and feeling pretty lonely and left behind I went through a prolonged 'funk' where I really lost who I know I really am. I won't go in to it but lets just say during this time whenever there was a chance for bad news, I got it (not to mention I was also unemployed).
But everyone has their down days (or months) and events can inevitably cause things to change... Although it may take time, things are sure to get better sooner or later and when I visited and was reunited with my best friend, landed my ideal job and passed my driving test in the same week something inside me told me things were on their way to look up. I was reassured that life isn't all that bad and encouraged myself to just keep my chin up.
Looking back in reflection, this year I have a lot of things to be thankful for (both good and bad), and there's nothing better to encourage warm smiles to end it with than the season of Christmas- fires are on, friends are back and its an excuse to drink hot chocolate until you feel sick.
So my 2013 has definitely been one of change. From family to friends to careers and outlooks, they've all been shaken up and here I am now- stronger and better... this year has confirmed that everything happens for a reason.
Along with change, 2013 has been the year that I also discovered my true love for baking, began to actually improve my fitness (although undoubtedly that'll have to carry over to 2014...) and has brought me back my childhood friend who has been living across the world for the past five years.
Who knows what 2014 has in store for me. I'm glad I will continue doing a job that I love, am reassured I will continue in the friendships I currently have and am excited to see what university has to throw at me.
2014? I'm ready for ya.








No comments:
Post a Comment