Sunday, 6 January 2013

"The Impossible"


Me and a few others have a bit of a thang going on- we're the Orange Wednesday 'crew' (If you're not from the UK, anyone using Orange as their mobile network provider is able to recieve a code to get them half price cinema tickets on a wednesday). And we started of the new year in a way that we mean to go on: shuffling into our seats and sitting down infront of a huge screen. The film we saw was called 'The Impossible', I honestly hadn't heard of it, but also hadn't seen my friends in a while, so trotted along anyway.

I can only describe it as emotional. It's based on a true story of a spanish family (although made British for the film) caught in the 2004 Boxing day Tsunami, and don't think I really need to justify myself anymore. Visualising the immensity of the disaster really brought reality home. It took me on a heartwrenching journey teaching me about family, hope, charity and optimism. (and made me want to marry Ewan McGregor even more.)



I have a family friend that I've known since I was born and grown up with, that was out in Thailand that Christmas. On a whim she decided to catch an early flight and return to her family for Christmas day instead of a few days later. I count my lucky stars that she was not there for the Tsunami, but I can't help but remember that not everyone was as lucky as her. Really value what you have and how priviledged you are, because some people have litterally, nothing, just like that.




__________________________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment